About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Friday, 4 August 2017

Bee-eaters at East Leake

Before I went to RSPB Sandy at the weekend, I decided to drop into see the Bee-eaters which have nested at a quarry in East Leake

Apparently there are 3 nests which are due to fledge within the next week or so. There have been up to 7 Bee-eaters seen at once, so this is great news, particularly if they all fledge.

It was very windy on the day I went to see them with showers too.  The birds were up to about 250  yards away and never closer than 150 yards.

This made it really difficult to get good photos of them, although I think my photos compare favourably with others that I have seen of these birds.

The benefit of digiscoping is the distance I can still get birds, the draw back was the wind  and tripods do not go well together.

Its a shame it was not possible to get closer, but best to avoid disturbing them, as they are so rare in this country.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire