About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Tuesday, 23 May 2017

Teesdale Spring Birding

It looks as though Spring is finally here in the North East.  It has been a cold dry spring up here, but there are young birds about and the trees are just about all in full leaf.
I have had a few nest boxes in a wood for a few years now, trying to get Redstart in them, but mainly blue tits have taken up residence in all but one box, which is currently empty. But I did hear and see a male Redstart singing in the wood - so hopefully it will find the nest box with a mate.
I also have a resident Tawny Owl in there - the first time I have seen one here.
A Wren was sing loudly on the unfurling bracken stalks, and Curlews were calling loudly desperately trying to warn the sheep away from their nest.

Further up the dale I walked down a track and heard this piping call from the heather, it took me a couple of minutes for it to sink in my brain and recognise what it was calling - at first I couldn't see it but it was a beautiful Golden Plover
 As I watched it sink down so it was just visible I saw a movement to the right of it and this tiny golden ball of fluff appeared, it can't be more than a couple of days old.
I went further down the track and saw Cuckoo, Grey Wagtails, a pair of Ring Ouzels, and a very large bird of prey in the distance again.
But there was nothing to compare the size with, and the automatic settings says Buzzard, but it did not fly like a Buzzard - it was probably over three quarters of a mile away and despite getting it in the scope I still couldn't get a positive ID on it.  But I believe it is a possible Eagle - the second time I have seen it, and others have had views too. So fingers crossed someone will get a positive ID on it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire