About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 26 March 2017

Costa Rica - Great Potoo

Great Potoo
This was a one of my target birds, and I quickly let Jehudi know that I wanted to see one, I thought that it was a big ask, and looking at Yehudi's face I think he thought it was too.
He did say that there was a possibility when we went up to Arenal.
Well, when we got to the location it didn,t look very promising.  There were major roadworks exactly where Yehudi said he expected to see the Potoo.
Everybody started searching the trees after about 20 minutes our driver Rodrigo had picked something up, he called Yehudi over to have a look, yes!! it was a Great Potoo.
It was about 80 yards away though and very difficult to get any closer, and high up in a large tree, with a wind blowing, my hopes of getting a good photo of it were pretty slim, even by digiscoping it.
I tried various settings and magnifications in the hope that a few may be useable.
At one point I even went up the partly made up road to try and get a better angle, but it got worse, and my feet were sinking in up to my ankles.
However I am pretty please with these shots, yes they are cropped in and a bit of manipulation, Thanks to our guide and driver I saw this target bird, and what a weird bird it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire