About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Tuesday, 27 December 2016

BITTERN AND KINGFISHER

Armed with my new Christmas present Nikon P900 I went to pay a visit to Gosforth Park to see if I could add a final new species to my 2016 year book.
It was nippy - just about 0 degrees, and I had not brought along my digiscope gear, so that I could learn how to use this new camera.
All I needed was the Bitterns to show.
I waited about an hour before the first signs of any Bittern appeared.  It had walked to the waters edge (given away by the reeds moving), before it paused for a few seconds then flew.  The photos I got were rubbish - wrong setting on the camera.
A bit more fiddling with the buttons and I was ready again,  another half hour passed, I could see reeds moving where there were Bitterns but I could not see the bird.
This is how the morning went mostly, but sometimes the bird could be seen in the reeds or even better in full view.
I got some of my best ever Bittern shots.  I was well pleased, both with seeing the bird and the way that the camera performed.
After all it does have a 2000mm optical lens which out guns all dSLR's.

I was starting to feel the cold now so I decided to walk back to the car.  This meant going past another bird hide, I could't resist it.
When I entered there was already a Kingfisher on view.  Couldn't be much better than this. What a bonus.
So I spent another 30 minutes taking shots of this stunning female Kingfisher


No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire