About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Monday, 21 November 2016

Waxwings

With the recent Easterly and Northerly winds in the North East of England there has been an excellent influx of Waxwings into the area - if somewhat patchy.
After unsuccessfully trying for Crossbills - couldn't get there for the snow, I decided to try for some of the Waxwing flocks in the area.
This flock is at a well known area for Waxwings, it gets them most years, but this year was exceptional with a flock of around 200 birds.
They were fairly active but were returning regularly to a particular bush.  So it was just a case of waiting for them (it was only about 2 degrees) so fairly cool.
The problem was the bush was next to a main road, so they were being disturbed by the traffic fairly regular too.
Its great to see these birds in the winter, they are so charismatic, but we do not get them every winter, so this is a treat.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire