About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 16 October 2016

Siberian Stonechat - Saltburn

We have had a full week of easterly winds in the North East of England, and at this time of year that usually means that we get a good fall of migrants, and this has proved to be the case this year.
Among the usual huge falls of Goldcrests, Robins, Blackbirds, Redwings and Fieldfares there is always a chance that something rare turns up.

I had been working all week in the South East which has meant I have not been able to get out birding as much as I usually would.  So when I saw reports of Red Flanked Bluetails, Red Breasted Flycatchers and various other rarities I was getting so frustrated.
When I arrived back in the North East there were still Easterly winds blowing.  At the first chance I got I went to the coast at South Gare, there were loads of Goldcrests and Robins then I spotted a fine male Brambling, I digiscoped it and got a couple of reasonable photos.

The light was poor and it was quite windy.  A report came in of a Siberian Stonechat near Saltburn, it was only about 8 mile away, I couldnt resist it.
When I arrived a couple of other birders were onto a Stonechat, they were not sure if it was a Siberian or not.  I got my scope onto it and saw immediately that it had a white "bib" or gorget - a definite Siberian.



I took loads of photos of it but only a few were acceptable due to the vibration caused by the wind and the bird sitting on stems that were getting blown about.
At last a rarity for me - in fact it is the first time that I had seen one.
Further down the coast at Easington near Hull a mega rare bird had turned up - a Siberian Accentor, but this was too far for me to go.
The next day 2 more Siberian Accentors were reported in the North East - very very rare, this was the first time ever that they had been recorded in the UK
With Easterly winds forecast again for next weekend who knows what will turn up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire