About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Monday, 23 May 2016

Ring Ouzels in Weardale

I had intended to go to two or three locations today and started off by trying to find some Ring Ouzels,  well, it never turned out that way.
I went to the a Ring Ouzel location and immediately heard a male singing his heart out. It was perched above a quarry wall on a fence post.  I continued up river hoping for some more accessible Ouzels, but found none.
So back to the original bird and a female was also showing now too.
I sat down and watched them from about 60 yards away, when the male flew right over my head and landed behind me somewhere, the female followed.  I waited.
Sure enough both birds returned above the quarry then dropped down onto the cliff face - I lost them - surely they were feeding young birds still in the nest.
Eventually I returned to the car which was parked on a grass meadow, I sat in the car with the scope set up outside the car and the Ouzels both came down to hunt for worms on the meadow - there was no need to walk miles up river - they were feeding by the roadside.
This is just a selection of he shots I got of the male, the female was more wary than the male who was quite bold - at least for a Ring Ouzel.


I never did go to my other two planned locations, I spent hours watching these two collect food, time and again they came back to the meadow to collect worms, grubs and catterpillars.  So the Redstarts will have to wait for next weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire