About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 15 May 2016

Red Backed Shrike - Holy Island

On a short break into Northumberland, I checked out the bird reports and noticed that a Red Backed Shrike had been seen in Embleton, so we tried to find it without any success- we just didn't know where to look.
The next day we travelled up to Holy Island again I checked out the bird reports, only to find that a Red Backed Shrike had turned up there as well.
After a chat with some other bird watchers we found the Shrike in the garden of a vicarage, which meant we had to view the bird over the garden wall at the back.
This was probably just as well, as it ensured that photographers kept their distance and the Shrike remained undisturbed for at least 3 days.
The bird was finding plenty of bees to feed on, although I did see it chasing a goldfinch.
I am happy with the shots that I digiscoped, and others with dSLR's got good shots too, but obliviously not as much zoom that I managed with my digiscope set up.
We also went to see a Bluethroat that was reported on the island, and although I did see it briefly I did not manage to get a photo of it, this is where the guys with the dSLR's beat me. But it did show very briefly and is a first for me in the UK.
However down at Hartlepool over the same period a Red Spotted Bluethroat turned up and put on an unbelievable show, and people got great photos of that.  Just shows that you can't be in two places at once.  I was happy though


No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire