About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 15 November 2015

Grey Phalarope at South Gare

Its ages since I have posted on here, a mixture of not getting very good photos and being to busy to write my trips up.
However a couple of weeks ago I had a trip out to see if I could see a Red Backed Shrike, and after about 2 hours it was a no show, however I did pick up on a swift which circled the area a Potash Mine in Cleveland. 
A swift at this time of year is very unusual, and I informed 2 other birders and we all thought it was a Pallid Swift, fairly light underneath, it was by all means not a definite Pallid, but a likely one, others had been reported in the country at the same time.
I then took a trip down to South Gare where there was a Grey Phalarope and a Slavonian Grebe reported.
The grebe was over a mile away - I could not have definitely identified that either, but others said it was.  The Phalarope was different, it was coming to within 20 feet as it fed on insects? coming of the seaweed and in the water. 
What a show off it was, and it was this time last year that one turned up in exactly the same place
I then went to Seaton Common and saw 2 Short eared Owls quartering the common, but only got record shots of it flying

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire