About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Monday, 30 November 2015

Black Throated Diver - Jacksons Landing, Hartlepool

On Saturday I first of all went to see if I could find the Long Eared Owls, without success.  However another birder had put a report of 3 in the location, he must have been there before I was, either I just could not find them or they had been scared - probably the former.
I then went up to see if I could see the Black Throated Diver, the weather forecast was horrendous, with severe gales in the afternoon with rain/snow.
On arrival I could not see it to start with, but after about 10 minutes it showed up.
Talking to other birders they told me that it was frequenting the corner of the harbour. Sure enough and typical of the divers that turn up in Jacksons Landing it was repeating a circuit.
However due to the strong winds I failed to get good digiscope shots due to the vibration on the scope / tripod.  My Canon SX50 didn't get any better shots either.
Eventually the conditions just got too bad for photography with low light, heavy rain, and blowing a hoolie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire