About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Raptor migration near Tarifa Spain

RAPTOR MIGRATION - TARIFA, SPAIN

Today was one of those special birding days that rarely happen. We trAvelled 90 kilometres to Tarifa to see the raptor migration.  On the way during a comfort stop I spotted a White Stork stood on a nest, most of them have now gone from this area. - so I took a couple of shots.
Onto Tarifa.  While driving I could see loads of raptors all around, but could find nowhere to pull over. Eventually I spotted a drive of sorts and it led to a raptor watch point. Here we saw Many Booted and Short Toed Eagles pass through but we're quite high. also a juv Bonellis Eagle was in the distance. 
A few minutes later 3 Griffon Vultures passed overhead. There were raptors everywhere you Looked. I noticed looking over to the coast that they seemed to be lower down. 

BOOTED EAGLES
We drove a couple of more miles and found another watch point. The Eagles were coming over in waves and low down too.  I have never seen a sight like this since being in Panama. it was amazing. we saw thousands of Eagles, buzzards, vultures, Hawks, White Storks and Black Storks.
POSSIBLE BONELLI'S EAGLE
But the best was still to come.........   More later.


PART OF A FLOCK OF ABOUT 200 WHITE STORKS


No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire