About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 31 May 2015

Short Eared Owl on Pennine Moors

It was Petes turn to act as guide today, as he had found a Short Eared Owl mid week on the moors.

He only had a couple of hours or to relocate the Owl but as soon as we got to the area the Owl was seen quartering a heath.  We found  a small hill and sat down and watched the Owl hunting.
It went out of sight for about 10 minutes, then we heard a call and the bird flew up behind us and sat on the hill about 30 yards away.
We both span round and got photos of it - or at least Pete did, I was having battery trouble - Grrrr! I replaced the battery but by this time the Owl had lifted off and gone hunting.
The Owl repeated this pattern 3 or 4 times in the hour that we sat there.  I eventually sorted myself out and got some decent photos.
We only saw this single bird, so not sure if it is just holding territory or if there is a nest in the location.
We got our photos and left it alone after about 45 minutes. It did not seem bothered by us, and because we were sat down and let the bird come to us, we both got a great experience of this birds behaviour.

I believe this is the first time that I have seen a Shorty on the moors in the summer in the North East so cheers Pete, great find.

Also earlier in the day I was walking a track and heard a Golden Plover calling, I spotted the bird and it was trying to distract me away from some very young chicks which were waddling away  in the undergrowth.  I took a quick photo of the adult and let them be alone, and continued searching for Merlin with no success.
I did see two male cuckoos chasing each other at high speed in a grove of trees on the edge of the moor, they were great to watch. But too fast for me to photograph, so I just enjoyed the experience
A great day birding!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire