About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 22 February 2015

Yet more Mexican birds

A walk down the beach to a derelict ex hotel site where shrubbery had taken over, provided some excellent views of this young Grey Hawk.  Again it was very accepting of me and allowed me to walk right underneath where it was perching, so I could get the light right. (I think the trick is to avoid eye contact).
It had a couple of attempts to catch something and missed, probably after lizards.
This small area was quite productive for small Seedeaters, sparrows, flycatchers and even some tanagers.
On my final bird walk of the holiday I saw a pair of adult Grey Hawks, but they were on the otherside of the river and rather obscured by foliage
I saw a number of Green Kingfishers on the holiday, all up the river, but this one was perched underneath the main double carriageway bridge, and while I was trying to take the photos the bridge kept moving due to the traffic.

 Even though I saw a few male Kingfishers I never did get a decent photo.


One bird that really was quite common is the Groove Billed Ani which flew around in troops of about 10-12 birds.
They are a kind of cuckoo, even though they do not resemble our British Cuckoo much.
I saw them when I was in Cuba but they were never this approachable
 They kep foraging in the grass - presumably for insects or small reptiles.  I particularly like this shot of the Green Iguana showing their best profiles together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire