About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Hoopoe - Gran Canaria

After my success with the Desert Grey Shrike, I then wanted to get photos of Hoopoes.
Although I saw them on most days they were proving difficult to get anywhere close to them, until I had found out where they were hanging out.
At around 9 each morning a pair of hoopoe were returning to the same tree to perch preen and squabble.
So I decided to sit and wait for them coming - hidden by bushes, and sure enough a hoopoe turned up and started preening itself and although the sun hadn't risen above the dunes fully the light was quite good and I got some great shots.
A couple of days later, the same thing happened only this time a hoopoe flew from the tree over the dune and dropped down, I climbed the dune - these are big dunes and searched the low bushes and eventually I spotted the Hoopoe feeding on the ground
Surprisingly this bird was very approachable, and as I stood there (i was camouflaged in sandy coloured gear) the hoopoe came to within 6 feet of me. Brilliant as it fed in the sand pulling up grubs and things.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire