About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Friday, 10 October 2014

Gran Canaria - final post

Here is an assortment of other birds seen at Maspalomas Gran Canaria,

This Kestrel was extremely approachable as it sat in a large bush and sorted its feathers out.  Interesting to see the colour difference to our UK Kestrel.

Walking round the lagoon area I scanned the water edge on the other side and to my surprise, sat there was a Squacco Heron, I tried some photos but they were just too far away.
It then flew up and landed on the dead tree in the lagoon, this was closer but still I need to switch the digital zoom on, something I rarely do. They are a bit grainy because of this.

I have tried for years at Gran Canaria to get a good shot of a Sardinian Warbler, they are not particularly rare, they are just in the middle of the bushes all the time, I always end up with twigs in front of them.
But after a couple of hours in the dunes trying to photo them without success I returned to the hotel for breakfast and this female Sardinian Warbler land just in front of me on the fence and posed, now I just need the male!

There were always parakeets flying around making their raucous calls.  I found a group of them picking the cones off a tree and couldnt resist a few photos - these are Monks Parakeets.


Finally a couple of landscapes - a fantastic sunrise, and the low down sun making the sand ripples stand out on the dunes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire