About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 27 July 2014

Hobby

While in Bedfordshire I nipped into The Lodge, with the intention of getting some Green Woodpecker photos - again.  After standing like a lemon for nearly an hour with a few sighting of the Green Woodies, I had no pictures. Getting fidgety and thinking about making a move, I heard a Hobby in the wood behind me. I watched from where the sound came, a Green Woody flew to the right and a Hobby flew straight towards me, it landed about 40 yards away in the shade.
I couldnt believe it - I forgot about the woodies and concentrated on the Hobby - second time this has happened to me here.
The Hobby flew over the valley, I followed and got a few shots of it on various perches - at one point there were 3 Hobbies together - I assume 2 young harrassing an adult to be fed.
At one point a Hobby flew to the ground, but I couldnt see what it was doing, I edged closer, still couldnt see it, then 2 crows put the Hobby up. It had been drinking at a pool made for frogs. The heat eventually took it tole on all the birds as they took a siesta.  A great morning


No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire