About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 15 June 2014

A wood in Teesdale

After weeks of waiting I have returned to check my nest boxes out.  The Coal Tits in one of them have fledged and gone.  In another, a pair of Pied Flycatchers were hard at work feeding the youngsters in the box. Not sure how many there are in there I (I don't risk disturbing the birds), but there was loads of food going in.
I digiscoped these shots, hidden behind a tree.
Food that I could identify included caterpillars, earwigs, lacewings, leatherjackets, and i think what may be a centipede. Not an expert on bugs.
I spent over an hour getting shots of the Pied Flycatcher. There was also a cuckoo cruising up and down the wood, and once it landed about 20 yards away, I tried to get the camera into position but it flew.
An adult buzzard also landed really close but took off after a minute or so.
A goldcrest was busily calling in a conifer and taking small insects of the tree.
Then on the way back to the car I noticed 2 young Common Buzzards perched in a tree in the wood.  Again I digiscoped these in what was very poor light. The exposure was over a second long, its a good job that birds of prey will stand motionless.
I later drove past a forest with lots of dead trees, I couldn't resist scanning them for nightjar, but with no luck. I did however see a nice Tawny Owl sat real low down on a felled tree.  By the time I got my scope out of
the car it had dissappeared. I think it dropped down to the ground, but I wasn't sure.
What a great morning bird watching.

1 comment:

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire