About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Friday, 25 April 2014

Pied Flycatchers - house hunting

Last weekend I paid a visit to Tunstall Woods hoping to find Redstarts and Pied Flycatchers. I did not see or hear any Redstarts, but there were at least 6 Pied Flycatchers - all male.
I watched two Pied Flys squabbling over a nestbox which was quite fun to watch. There were a number of holes around in the trees but they seemed to prefer the nestbox.
At one time one bird was in the nest box, the other flew up and began tapping the outside of the box, eventually the bird inside the box flew out and a mid air battle ensued.  This happened 4 times.  I am sure they have resolved residency by now.
There also should be females there by now too, and Redstarts too I hope.

"I need to find her a home, she`ll be here soon!"

 " I'm not sure she'll like this - perhaps its a bit small"

 "I like this,  plenty of room for the kids, but she'll just say its draughty"
"What about this prefab, nice and modern, secure door, but needs the roof fixing. Oh I`m not sure, I'll just wait till she gets here!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire