About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Friday, 4 April 2014

First Post From Panama

This is the first chance that i have had to update my blog since coming out to Panama.  The birding here is fantastic and intensive with 6:00 am starts and 2 trips a day if the trip is not an all day trip.
I have managed to get great shots of 4 types of Trogon, Great Jacamar, Black Necked Puffbird, White Whiskered Puffbird.
Yesterday we came across and Army Ant swarm, this attracts many different kinds of Antbirds, Woodcreepers, Antshrikes, and Antwrens. It was amazing to watch so many birds just following the ants waiting for something bigger to jump out of the way of the ants.
On our first day out we came across a Northern Tamandua which is a kind of Anteater. It was about 20 feet up a tree being quite lazy lounging on a branch.
Other mammals include Howler Monkeys, waking us up at 5:10 every morning, White faced Capuchin monkeys, White Tailed Deer, 3 Toed Sloths, and just 1 hour ago we had our first Possum.

There are many types of hummingbird here around the Canopy Tower, and are frustrating trying to get flying shots. But I am getting great perched shots.
The highlight so far is a pair of Sunbitterns which we saw yesterday.
My digiscoping is out performing the DSLRs here for the birds, mainly because the conditions are dark in the jungle.
Having 3 trips today, which includes an evening trip to look for Owls and nocturnal mammals.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing! I bet you don!t know where to look, great shots and thanks for the update

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire