About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Thursday, 27 March 2014

Golden Plover and Dipper

WEARDALE
This morning I went up to Weardale to a place where I was tipped off about some Green Woodpeckers (thanks Dave S).
On the way I watched a pair of Dippers nest building on the river, views of the birds mostly obscured by twigs, so no pictures. Then I walked down the valley, and I could hear a Green Woodpecker really close and after 5 minutes searching for it, it flew to a neighbouring tree. I just about got my scope onto it and it flew, not to be seen again - but I could hear it all the time.  Further down the river another Green Woodpecker started calling, I could hear them both now.  But again I could not see it. They are a frustrating bird, but it makes it all the more rewarding when eventually I get a photo.
There were a number of Grey Wagtails, Chiffchaff and Goldcrest in the valley.

On the way up to the moors  I spotted another Dipper at Wolsingham and I managed to digiscope it from the road bridge over the river, not bad results in the diminishing light.

Then up on the moors I wanted to find any Ring Ouzel, but it started snowing quite heavily so I gave up on that idea, but I did find some nice road side Golden Plovers and Red Grouse.
I beat a retreat when the road started to get covered in snow as they had not been salted.
I nice few hours in what I hope is the last of this springs snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire