About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Saturday, 22 March 2014

Clara Vale - Kingfisher

Clara Vale - Kingfishers
I set off to Clara Vale just after dawn this yesterday morning, mainly to beat the traffic around Gateshead, but also to get a place in the very small hide.
As soon as I opened the hide window there was a Kingfisher sat on one of the poles provided, although there still wasn't enough light to get photos.
Eventually there were 2 Kingfishers showing, male and female - an obvious pair and they showed really well all morning, occasionally disappearing over to the river for up to half an hour.
The female spent all her time eating - filling up prior to egg laying. The male did offer present her with fish but it was quite hidden and unable to get photos of it happening.
Magpies were coming down collecting sticks and mud for their nest, while a Wren foraged among the grass tussocks. There was also a good show of yellowhammers and bullfinch, and a Common Buzzard flew low over the hide.
A nice morning despite it getting too cramped in the hide!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire