About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Monday, 3 February 2014

Glossy Ibis at Billingham

Yesterday I paid a rare visit over to Teesside to view the lovely Glossy Ibis which was showing at Billingham.  Luckily the bird was busy feeding in a horse paddock right next to the road and was about 30 yards away, however initially the position was wrong as far as the sun was concerned, and it was almost silhoutted. For the Glossy Ibis if the sun is right the feathers show many different colours.
After a while it flew up, chased by a Common Gull over into a short grass field on the opposite side of the road.  This meant that it was now in full sun and its feathers were iridescent.
However it was now only about 20 yards away and it was vital that the car was used as a hide, because I was still digiscoping it I opened the car door with the window open and set the tripod up on the road and digiscoped through the open window - this meant the door was still giving me cover. Others were not so careful, despite being told a guy walked along the fence to get minimum distance between himself and the bird and used a fence
post to hold the camera still - of course the inevitable happened and the bird flew 400 yards to the other side of the field.  Some people just won't listen!
What a nice bird though. There have been a few about in the North East this winter and this one was worthwhile going to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire