About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Thursday, 16 January 2014

Waxwings at Jarrow

Waxwings have been few and far between this year, again due westerly winds and probable bumper berry crops over in Scandinavia and Northern Europe.
The most reliable place to get them in the North East is probably at Saxon Way in Jarrow, I believe they have been there for 4 out of the last 5 years.

On the previous Friday I saw a flock of about 40 there, but by Monday this had reduced to about 20, and the berries had been ravaged off the trees too.
Conditions on both days I was there were very dull despite it being sunny when I left home 30 miles away. So I struggled with the digiscoping getting only a few shots worth keeping - but I still got some.
They are great birds to see even if you do not get shots of them.
Also only six miles away from the Waxwings was a pair of Glossy Ibis, too far away for any shots on this occasion though.



1 comment:

  1. Numbers of Redwing, Mistle Thrush and Blackbirds, of course, helping reduce the berries on Saturday. Bright sunlight but the Rowans were in shade.

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire