About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 5 January 2014

Some photos from over the christmas period

Black Grouse
I took my mate Pete up to see the Black Grouse in Teesdale area.  They put on a real good show and Pete was happy to get photos of the female.  They were right on the road side.

In the area we were looking the male and females were generally in different areas, perhaps the run up to the lekking season has started.

 The light was really atmospheric at times which helped to show Teesdale at it its best but this meant frequent showers, I managed to get this photo with the rainbow right over the chapel.
 
Pete also wanted to see the Great Grey Shrike at Bradbury and Bewicks Swan. Although we did catch a quick glimpse of the Shrike it didn't show well, so it was off to see the Bewick Swan at Sadberge.
This was easier to see as it was in a flooded field next to the road. I would not have identified this as Bewicks myself because the beak pattern is not obvious on this bird, however it is much smaller than the Whooper on the right. But it does seem strange that it has decided to hang around with 3 Whoopers!
The Kestrel below landed about 50 yards away from me while I was sat in a bird hide at Low Barns and was obviously searching for rodents from the tree. But before it could find any somebody else approached the bird hide and disturbed it.



1 comment:

  1. Great atmospheric shots of Teesdale, the rainbow is brilliant and great Grouse images

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire