About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Thursday, 16 January 2014

Kingfisher at Clara Vale

At last, I have been able to upload my pictures to blogger - the powers that be hadn't informed people that blogger no longer supports Windows Explorer and now have to use Google Chrome. Grrrr.

Finally I have managed to get some decent Kingfisher photos after months of only distant views.  This was mainly thanks to the rains that we have had and the fast flowing muddy rivers being very difficult for the Kingfisher to fish in.  So they move onto pools, ponds and lakes.
The bird kept moving around in the hour or so that it stayed in view. Which provided a variety of photos to be taken, with natural perches to stick perches that had been put in for the Kingfisher to nice distant scenic photos with the Kingfisher in.

I like the natural perches the best, but it often means that the bird is partially obscured by other twigs or like above with seed pods, this does not necessarily detract from the picture (except above there may be too much in the way), because it shows the environment that the birds are in. (Chris Packham would instantly throw it away I guess). But I quite like it.
The picture above was digiscoped at about 80 yards although I had to use the scope and camera on the minimum magnification to get the full reflection in. Not a huge amount of detail in the feathers of the kingfisher but it is a very pleasing scenic shot.

2 comments:

  1. I like the Kingfisher shots especially the one at the top, they are lovely natural shots and the reflective shot is very clever. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Colin, I have just found your blog while searching for help with digiscoping. What lovely photos you have posted.
    I have exactly the same equipment as you but my photos are terrible. I was successful with my previous Sony DSC-W50 but not with my RX100. Can you give me any tips? I was thinking of changing the camera but now I have seen how good your photos are it must be something I am doing wrong.
    Best wishes Eileen

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire