About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Lesser Grey Shrike - Northumberland

I had seen a Lesser Grey Shrike reported a few days ago in Northumberland, originally it was reported as a Great Grey Shrike but soon amended.
I had resisted all weekend going up to see as it meant 160 mile round trip and I do not consider myself a twitcher, but Shrikes are my favourites and I am building up a collection of photos of different kinds from my visits to different countries. The rain overnight on Sunday meant that it was unlikely that the Shrike would move on anywhere, so I decided to go Monday.
I had seen a Lesser Grey Shrike in Spain before, but never in this country so it was a first for me.
It was very obliging generally keeping about 40 feet or so away from people. Apart from when it landed in the bushes beside the road where I was actually only about 10 feet from it - through the bush.
All of these shots were digiscoped as I am still getting better results with this method than my Canon SX50 - and I prefer it too.
It took some finding, but thanks to a report on Bird Forum where "Super-Silly-Um" had given great directions to the area, I eventually found the bird.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous set of Shrike shots! Well worth the twitch I would say, Pete

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire