About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Friday, 18 October 2013

More Migrants at Hartlepool

Another good morning at Hartlepool Headland.  There have been Goldcrest all over the place now for a few days, but they are still difficult to photograph. 
 
A few other birds have been showing up with the now Easterly winds including a couple of rarities.
Mealy Redpoll have been showing quite regularly as have Brambling, Redwing, Blackbirds and Robins are very numerous having just crossed from Scandinavia.
 
The big rarity that showed up at Hartlepool was the Western Bonelli's Warbler.  It showed fairly well but was high up in a tall sycamore tree and it never sat on a perch for longer than a second.
 
After an hour or so it did preen itself for about a minute, long enough to digiscope it, however it was a little obscured by the twigs of the tree.  There were a lot of people here, some had travelled a long way to see this bird, and they went home happy.
For me, it was a little underwhelming, maybe because I don't really keep lists of birds seen, but at least I can now say I have seen one - a first for the county I believe.
Another bird that turned up after I left was a Pallid Swift, which then roosted on a nearby church.
Hopefully the migration will continue for a while yet, we haven't had many Short Eared Owls in yet and no Waxwings have showed in the North East yet, but it is early still for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire