About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Migrants so far

The winds so far this year have been pretty good for migrants, although I did miss a big fall of birds due to being on holiday.
The first place I tried was Hartlepool Headland, there were a few birds around and I managed to get photos of a nice young Redstart that was in the Town Hall gardens. 

Then a smashing little Goldcrest was posing nicely in the branches.  Just along the path somebody had found 2 Brambling high up in the trees, a bit of patience paid off and the birds came to a smaller tree and sat for a while.


There were also 2 or 3 Yellow Browed Warblers around.  There had been a big fall of these birds just a few days earlier and they were being reported right down the East coast. However I couldn't manage a picture of these. All of these birds were very mobile in the trees and bushes which meant that none of the were digiscoped.
A report of a Firecrest came from Hartlepool Headland a couple of days later.  I had to try and photo these, I have seen them before but I have never managed a decent photograph.
When I arrived there were already four birders at the location and I immediately saw the Firecrest deep in the bush.  It then became apparent that there were actually two of them.
It was only a matter of time before they headed to the outside of the bush and they did. But they were so quick never settling for much more than a second.
I did manage a couple of photos, but I had to put the camera onto a higher than normal ISO setting which meant grainy pics,
A couple days later I headed up the Durham coast to Whitburn, many reports of migrant were coming from this location, but it is a fairly large area with lots of cover for birds, which is great, but also makes them difficult to find/photo
The forecast for the rest of this week looks great for migrants with strong winds in the North East then veering to the East. 
The problem will be where to go to?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire