About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Low Barns Dipper

I visited Low Barns Nature Reserve, in hope of seeing a Kingfisher but there were none to be seen today.  A walk down to the river proved a little more productive though.
Looking at the stones in the river showed bird dropping on most of the larger stones, this is good evidence that a Dipper is using the area to feed.
After five minutes I managed to spot the bird upstream ducking under the water and emerging with caddis flies. I moved up river a little but the undergrowth proved to thick to get good views.
However I did see the bird move back down the river a little, so I went back to my original position.  At first I couldn't see the Dipper, but that was because it was closer than I expected.
It was only 20 yards away from where I was stood in the open and it was preening itself, totally indifferent to me.
I spent the next hour digiscoping, taking videos and just watching its behaviour, it as it preened and bathed, then it started feeding again.
It was getting quite dark by the time I came away, but it was great just to see this bird behaving totally naturally being unbothered of me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire