About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 13 October 2013

Goldcrests at Hartlepool - migration

I paid another visit to Hartlepool Headland in the hope of finding something unusual in the migration.
Hartlepool Heugh Pier in the stormy seas.
 A Great Grey Shrike had been reported yesterday, so I went searching for it. however after a very brief view of it flying up then down again I couldn't find it. It wasn't helped by the very strong North Easterly winds blowing.

Although it brings birds in, it also puts them low down in the bushes.
Moving on to the headland showed there were lots and lots of Goldcrest about and seemed to be coming in waves.
At times they came real close but again the low light levels meant they were difficult to photo.  I did manage a couple of decent shots though.
Other birds around included a Woodcock, a few Brambling, Redpoll, plenty of Redwings, Blackbirds and Robins, Great Spotted Woodpecker, and Pied Wagtails.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Colin great stuff your blog.. Just want to say you photo of the sea water one looks like a guy with his head back screaming.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while to see it, but yeah your right, maybe a woman screaming - got a bust. SPOOKY!!!!
    Thanks for your comment Vivien

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire