About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Saturday, 26 October 2013

Black Grouse fest. - Teesdale

Black Grouse - Teesdale
I went up Teesdale this morning just to see how the Black Grouse had faired this year.  I hadn't been up there since April - ish.
At Langdon Beck there were 32 grouse grazing in the usual field with 22 of them being male.  They are too far away at this location to get good photos, even for a digiscope set up.
So I went further up the dale on the hunt for some more. After a few mile I spotted another group of birds and I slowed down, they were fairly close, so I got some nice shots, mostly they were preening, with the odd squabble between the males.

I left them alone and went further on, after another mile I came across another group, this time they were really close on the opposite side of the road.  I drove past about 500 yards and set my digiscope up on the front passenger seat, with window open, I returned to the grouse. These were preening themselves too, and I got onto them with the scope - they were almost too close being no more than 15 yards away.  I spent a good while there taking photos and watching their behaviour. They were totally oblivious of me. Eventually they started feeding and walked off over the brow of the hill.
A great morning out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire