About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Monday, 26 August 2013

Red Backed Shrike

After failing miserably on the migrant front yesterday (apart from 2 Black Terns). I decided to go to South Shields today with the view of getting a Red Backed Shrike on The Leas, then have the afternoon on the beach.
The Shrike was reported on a hedge on The Leas for the last 2 days.  I went to what I thought was the hedge and found a Wheatear and Whitethroat but nothing else - I am not too familiar with the area.
So I returned to the car and checked out Bird Guides to find a Shrike had been found at Whitburn Coastal Park - just down the road.  So I visited there and found a few birders outside the observatory and they told me where to find the Shrike.
It showed very well but a little distant and it was not possible to get any closer. It was a nicely marked young Red Breasted Shrike and was very busy feeding up, mainly on bees.  I saw it cough up a pellet and it immediately caught another bee and knocked the sting off it before eating it
Photography wise it was difficult because of direct sunlight into the scope and a heat shimmer. 
But it was great to see. The weather pattern over the last 3 days has brought quite a lot of migrants into the East coast, hopefully a sign of things to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire