About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Friday, 2 August 2013

More Whinchat

Whinchats and Merlin
I re-visited the Whinchat in Teesdale again this morning, and there were not so many there, I think a family must have moved on now. (Again the heat shimmer and wind were a problem)
However there were still at least 6 birds around, or maybe 5 now because I think a Merlin may have taken one of them.
I was sat watching and digiscoping the Whinchats when I saw something else move in the corner of my eye, I looked and this female Merlin flew low over the heather then dropped down into it, I got my camera onto it but was not fast enough. The Merlin flew up,then down the valley with something in its talons.  The only birds that I saw in the area were Whinchat and a single Wren.
After a while I decided to walk further down the valley, checking the trees and rocks as I did. After about 300 yards a Ring Ouzel flew across and grabbed my attention, I saw where it settled and set my scope up, as I did this, the Merlin flew up from a small rocky cliff only 25 yards away. I MISSED IT - damn the Ring Ouzel.
The Merlin flew further down the valley and I carefully followed, I saw movement in a tree 100 yards away, I checked with my binoculars and saw the Merlin sat in a tree, Mistle Thrushes were going barmy around it. Just as I got my scope onto it, it flew not to be seen again.
The Merlin remains a bogey bird as far as photography is concerned, but what a great bird to see.
A 3rd trip in a row to see a Merlin at this location!!
A trip down to Low Barns and a Kingfisher has returned to West Lake. But the lake is heavily weeded up with all this hot weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire