About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Friday, 12 July 2013

Farne Islands

Farne Islands -  Northumberland
With the good weather I decided to have a ride up to Northumberland and have a trip out to the Farne Islands to gets some Puffin and Tern shots.
Its the first time I have actually landed onto the Farnes and it was great.

As soon as you land you are attacked by the Arctic Terns, I wore a hat as advised but they ignored it and went straight for the ear - and they do hurt a little.
There other attack method is to poop on you, although I escaped relatively poop free, some people and cameras were covered in it. So be warned, those people with expensive large lenses, there is a good chance your camera will be hit, so use covers.
There is no need for a telescope here as the birds are so close.
 
There were so many photo opportunities, the puffins were flying in off the sea like bullets, with beaks full of sandeels, racing to the burrows before the gulls could rob them.
One of the real challenges was to get flying shots of Puffins carrying sandeels. First you had to spot the puffin flying in from a distance, judge if it was carrying sandeels then get your camera onto it and hope for the best.
I found the best method was to put the camera onto manual focus and set it to infinity on fast shoot with ISO 200 and 1/2000 sec. Fortunately the weather cleared which made it ideal to get fast shots.
 
 
 
Shags were nesting real close to the walkways, providing great shots, they did not stir at all when approached.

 

The boat that I went on was called Serenity - a large catamaran which they do not overfill, unlike some of the other boats - which had up to 50 people on.
A great way of spending an afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Beltin' shots as usual. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks the birds on the Farnes are so obliging

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire