About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Monday, 29 April 2013

Teesdale/Weardale - First Pied Flycatcher of the year

The weather wasn't brilliant so I decided to go up to Teesdale and do some family history stuff, andtake some photos of where my ancestors lived.  On the way up to Baldersdale, I stopped off at Barnard Castle to see if there were any Pied Flycatchers around, but after a search I found only a Goosander on the river which spotted me first and flew.
Then it was up to Baldersdale on the high moors for family ancestory stuff, however I never stop bird watching and spotted many Snipe displaying, Lapwings, Golden Plovers and Curlew.  On my return trip I spotted a single Black Grouse feeding quite close to the road, I couldn't resist and got my scope onto it. I watched it for about 40 minutes until a farmer came past on his quad bike and it was spooked.
Then up to Low Barns where I was rewarded with my first Pied Flycatcher of the year, I believe there was a pair there, but it was the male singing that drew the attention.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire