About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Saturday, 2 February 2013

Bittern at Low Barns

Low Barns Bittern
Yesterday I was at Low Barns and there were reports of a Bittern, so I had a walk around to the location and sat for an hour when a Bittern took off and landed in the reeds near a path, so a friend and myself walked back towards the centre and the Bittern lifted off again and flew in front of the hide.
So this morning I was back there at first light and minus 4 degrees, I had sat for 45 minutes when the Bittern lifted up out of the reeds and drop down about 4 feet away from where it took off. At least I knew it was still there. That was the last I saw of it for 2 hours, I was joined by other watchers - making it more likely to see the bird. 
Then it was spotted hunting in a totally different area of the reed bed to where I first saw it.  I watched and took pictures of it for around about 30 minutes before it dissappeared back into the reeds.
Also seen were Green Woodpecker and Kingfisher.
By this time I think I was nearly hyperthermic, I couldnt stop shivering and I had 5 layers on! LOL

 The Nuthatch pics were from yesterday at the west hide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire