About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Monday, 7 January 2013

First attempt digiscoping with Sony RX100

Nuthatch at Low Barns
I am still on crutches so getting around is quite difficult.  However I managed to try out my new Sony RX100 camera at Low Barns reserve (sat in a hide all morning).
The light was poor so I had to up the ISO to 200 then 800, something I would not do with my old trusty Nikon P5100 due to noise.
I have to say the Sony performed really well. With the 20 megapixal and 1 inch sensor it is enabling me to zoom out a little to get some background and then crop in to get a panorama style picture which is quite interesting, and great for photobooks.
There were at least 3 Nuthatches coming to the nuts and seeds at the feeding station and despite a fly through attack from a Sparrowhawk they were back feeding within a minute.

1 comment:

  1. Digiscoping is using a spotting scope or binoculars with a camera (point-and-shoot or dslr), even an iPhone, to take close-up photos.

    Android Scope Mount

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire