About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 21 October 2012

Goldcrest Finally

After years of trying, I have finally got a half decent photo of a goldcrest.  There has been an influx of them on the north east coast over the last week, despite poor migration conditions (wind in the wrong direction).
 Last Monday there were at least 100 goldcrest in a small park on Hartlepool Headland, and there were other reports further down in Yorkshire of similar influxes.
Today although it was quiet to start with some birds did start to show mainly Goldcrest but also a Blackcap, 10 or so Blackbirds, 3 Redwing - but little else. 
After searching the bushes I saw this Goldcrest just sat there - normally they hardly sit still at all which makes them difficult to photograph. This one sat there for about 5 minutes - they are a stunning little bird, and this one was showing his crest off nicely - I was well pleased.

Other birds seen today were Red Throated Diver really close in - but I was on top of a cliff! 4 barn owls on a bird box, kingfisher, and 2 kestrels on entrance to RSPB Saltholme.

1 comment:

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire