About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Monday, 9 July 2012

Low Barns - Kingfishers and peckers



I spent a few hours at the weekend waiting for Kingfishers to show at Low Barns, which they did, but mainly on the far side of the lake (inaccessible), however one of the young ones decided to sit on the perching poles provided by the centre, then move onto the small island where it caught a couple of fish. 

I got a great video of it but I am unable to upload it on this site for some reason, I took a couple of photos with the canon camera, as the battery in my nikon on the scope failed (I had just charged it up).


While I was waiting for the kingfisher the Greater Spotted Woodpeckers provided great opportunities for photos.  So all in all it was a good morning.
I returned on Sunday morning, later than I would normally only to find that not only had I missed a kingfisher close by but I also missed a Hobby by 15 minutes.  See link to photo by Dave Brown http://www.flickr.com/photos/25145774@N02/7529129446/in/photostream and the kingfisher didnt appear on my side of the lake all morning.
I will attempt to put the kingfisher video onto youtube. Success!
Click on link here Kingfisher video

1 comment:

  1. The King fisher video is really interesting the zooming out feature on the camera is brilliant! You have set the standard for me again!

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire