About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 5 February 2012

Snowy Saltholme and Hartlepool





A beautiful morning with fresh snow and frost with temperatures at -5. I went to Saltholme this morning and the first thing I saw was a Marsh Harrier flying low across the reeds and quickly followed by a Short Eared Owl.


On reaching Wildlife watchpoint there was a Water Rail going in and out of the reeds at times coming real close, there were also loads of teal around.


I had a walk around and found an Owl sat on a post, I managed a couple of shots before it started hunting again, then it landed on a bush really close, as soon as I moved the scope it was off again. I saw a fox hunting voles - leaping up and burying its snout in the snow.


Then it was off up to Hartlepool fish quay were there were Iceland, Glaucous and Kumleins gulls. This rounded off a super mornings bird watching - I like the cold weather!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire