About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Saturday, 25 February 2012

Crossbills - The Stang

I still need a really good shot of a Crossbill so I went up to The Stang forest in Co Durham. I saw them immediately picking grit/salt off the roadside piles. However a car coming the other way spooked them. So I parked up and waited. Half hour later they returned and perched in the trees -but the light was very poor with white/grey skys so all I was picking up was silhouettes. The birds flew off again, so I decided to go onto the moor to see if there were any black grouse - I couldnt find them, but while looking I spotted a raptor over the hill top, I got my bins on it to see that it was a Rough Legged Buzzard!! a good find, but it was three quarters of a mile away and the wind was blowing a hooley, I just couldnt keep the scope still to get a picture. I returned to watch the Crossbills. They were coming quite close but it was so difficult to keep the scope still in the winds - I also saw a Goshawk over the hill to the east of the road. It just goes to show there is little you can do if there is poor light.

1 comment:

  1. gr8 find Colin - worth a look up on a calm day by the sound of it

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire