About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 8 January 2012

Kingfisher and Bullfinch



Spent a few hours at Clara Vale to try and get some Kingfisher pictures, (thanks for the reminder Susan - its about time I had some more pics of Kingfishers). I got there pretty much at first light, then spent 3 hours waiting for a Kingfisher to show, but it did show, for about 10 minutes and it caught 5 fish.


There was plenty of activity around the bird hide too with Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Treecreepers, a few Wrens, loads of Bullfinches, Siskins and all the usual tits. A Sparrowhawk whizzed passed the feeding station but didnt get anything. The light was not good and I made the error of upping my ISO setting on the camera (an old camera which doesnt handle higher ISO settings well), so pictures are a little grainy.

6 comments:

  1. Love those Kingfisher shots Colin, especially the first one - you must be pretty pleased with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, Steve yeah I was watch just pleased to see it after waiting for awhile. I am always torn to just sit and or to get photos too, sometimes it's just good to watch birds instead of thinking about getting a photo of them. I enjoyed the bully's just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot this male Bullfinch. In my zone (Murcia, Spain) is very dificult watch this specie, and beautiful Kingfisher. Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, thanks for your comments, the bullfinch is not too unusual here, and this winter there seems to be more than usual. You may not see much of the bullfinch in murcia but you do benefit with other species, particularly Roller and Bee eater which we generally do not get here in North East England.

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire