About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Thursday, 1 December 2011

Prestwick Carr Shrike and Owls

This is getting to be a bit of an Owl blog at the moment!





Arrived at Prestwick Carr just before sunrise, and strolled down to where the owls are, loads of fieldfare in the bushes and trees and big flocks of Woodpigeon around. I arrived to find there were no owls on view, but I was rewarded with the Great Grey Shrike in the bushes in the lane. I just stood still and watched it fly up and down, waiting for the sun to come up. I am pleased I did because I got stunning views of it at close range, I watched it for about an hour and half, then the lane started to get busy and I lost sight of it eventually.


Then it was the turn of the Short Eared Owls, they spent a lot of time hunting rather than sitting today, until it rained and they went into hiding again. Super morning!


3 comments:

  1. Awesome Colin
    You've timed that perfect for the Shrike - fantastic images
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good mate. Proof the early bird catches the worm. Great shots pete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys, it was thoroughly enjoyable, two of my favourite birds, in the same location.

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire