About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Tuesday, 27 December 2011

Hartlepool Headland Dec 27th



Red Throated Diver (Left) Black Throated Diver (Right)

I decided today to make a concerted effort to see the Slavonian Grebe that is at Hartlepool Headland. As soon as I got there it was showing off the pilot pier and swimming towards the fish quay. After a while I moved up the beach to try and get closer viewsm, but typically it moved back towards the pier. Grebes are difficult to digiscope as it is only 20 -30 seconds between dives, not leaving much time to locate, focus, drop the camera down and take photos. Hence my poor pics - or that is my excuse.


There were also Great Northern, Red Throated and Black Throated Divers off the pier, at times providing quite close views.

Another bonus was the Black Redstart which was near Newburn Bridge, it was quite flighty but at times it posed nicely on the rocks below the sea wall.

A great day and some nice company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire