About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Tuesday, 8 November 2011

South Gare again

Tried again for some migrants at South Gare and although there were more Fieldfares, Redwings, Robins and Blackbirds about there still wasn't the expected migration into the area. However I had a good check around at first light (it didnt get much lighter all day), and found two Black Redstarts, probably the same two that was around last week only in a slightly different area, I informed various people around so that they got chance to see them (including 2 happy ladies from Harrogate). Next I spotted a Merlin perched low down sheltering behind a building at the end of the pier.


I tried digiscoping but the bird was in a real awkward position and meant the photo was taken from 80 yards away in a wind with very little light. I managed to sneak closer but meant I couldnt digiscope as the only view available was through railings. I got a couple of shots off with my Fuji HS10 but they havent come out to good. Still it is a good find and I am happy with finding my 2 target birds today.

It just shows that you cant get good photos all of the time, but I would really like a good photo of a Merlin so that is my target bird for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire