About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Friday, 14 October 2011

Gran Canaria

Just had a weeks break in Gran Canaria so I was hoping to find the Southern Grey Shrike and Hoopoe to photo here. Initially there were no signs of either - it was blazing hot 38 degrees at times and with a strong wind making any bird watching hard work.One day I saw a hoopoe fly across the lagoon at Maspalomas, and made a mental note where it landed to see if I could find it next day.

Sure enough next day I was walking in the general area and saw a Hoopoe on the ground but as soon as I saw it, it flew towards some bushes and I lost sight of it. I followed unable to see it, then suddenly it flew out of a bush 20 yards in front of me and into some trees - The black and white on the wings provided super camoflague for the hoopoe when in a bush.I only ever managed distant shots (no digiscope with me) of the hoopoe, however when searching I also found my other target species the Southern Grey Shrike,






it was trying to catch lizards and totally ignored me and I got to within 15ft of it - I was really pleased.



Another first for me was an unusual Pipit which turns out to be a Berthelots Pipit, not rare in the Canaries but I had not even heard of this bird.

Other birds included Whimbrel, Curlew Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper, Kentish Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Kestrel, Trumpeter Finch, Bar Tailed Godwit, Little Egrets, and Monk Parrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire