About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Thursday, 16 June 2011

Peregrine Falcons - Malham Cove

Met up with my mate Pete and he took me to Malham Cove specifically to get some shots of Peregrines. Despite it being cloudy and windy we both got some great shots.
On approaching the cove we saw the adult birds flying and calling above their nest site. After reaching the top we could see 2 of the 3 young birds on the ledge - having left the nest - they weren't far off their first flight. I think if it hadn't been so windy they may have fledged
We watched for hour and half amazed at the adult birds sometimes chasing Jackdaws other times just flying high and stooping, then both adults dissappeared.
So we went for a walk and found a Kestrel nest where the young were just about ready to fledge too.



Got a few snaps of them and returned to the Peregrines.

Waited ages before finally an adult returned with some food. It fed one youngster then the other - which resembled a Penguin after it had eaten a full pigeon. These are the best shots and views of a Peregrine I have ever had - thanks Pete.



It has to be stressed that these shots were taken from over 50 yards away - none of the birds were disturbed and both of the nests are close to public footpaths.

video

1 comment:

  1. great results there Colin
    nice video-clip - theres a few birders i know who could do with learning the secret of your no-wobble technique ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire