About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 29 May 2011

Teesdale

Went for my first visit of the year to my favourite location today, I deliberately leave this place undisturbed until May, this wood really attracts some birds and today was no exception.

My first surprise was a bird that was sat on an old dead tree, when I got my bins on it I saw it was a Cuckoo. There was little cover between me and the bird so I set my scope up quickly and quietly and got a couple of shots - not ideal as the clouds were bright white behind it. I edged closer keeping tight against a wall - about 30 yards away now - took another couple of shots



Then closer still - its unusual to get this close to a Cuckoo. 25 yards I set tripod up and my shutter release jammed - I had to put my hand up to the camera - and the bird saw me and flew - moving your hands is like waving flags at a bird or animal. I moved out from the wall and a female Cuckoo had been sat on it - she flew too - I never saw her until that moment. - I'm well please not only to see the Cuckoo but to stalk so close to it was rewarding too


Other birds in the wood included Buzzard, about 10 Spotted Flycatchers, at least 2 Pied Flycatchers heard, Green Woodpecker - heard then seen flying away - typically. This place is so productive at this time of year.


Not sharing it though - lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire