About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Sunday, 29 May 2011

Saltholme and Greatham Creek

I called in to see kingfishers at the Tees Barrage, and the male was passing fish to the female, I tried for photos but the wind was playing havoc with the scope and all pictures were blurry - its easily over a 100 yards to where they were, and it doesnt look like you can get closer without disturbing them. I went to see if I could find Spoonbills again this week after they were reported from Wednesday, but again no success - I think they must come here on mid week specials and go back home at weekends.


Then I called into the Phil Stead hide at Saltholme trying to get out of rain and wind - saw a Greenshank and a fox there.



A Little Egret was feeding at the far end of the pool, the wind was ruffling its feathers up and made it look quite stunning, shame it was so far away.


Then went up to Greatham Creek, still some Avocets sat on nests and Common Terns also sat on nests on the island. The Avocets kept squabbling with each other.



It was very windy and squally, so just went to see the common seals as they were hauled up closer to the road than I have ever seen them before. They were moulting their skins and were forever scatching themselves. Still a nice sight.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire