About Me

My photo
I have been digiscoping for around 18 years now and through persistence and good equipment I am getting great results. I use a Swarovski 80hd spotting scope and a Sony RX100 camera which has just replaced my old faithful Nikon P5100. The majority of my bird watching takes place in County Durham in England which has a variety of different habitats from coast to moors. Digiscoping is great because it allows me to get good photos without disturbing birds. VIEW THE LATEST PHOTOBOOK AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE

Friday, 31 December 2010

Saltholme - Long Eared Owl and Bittern

Met up with Pete from Harrogate today as he wanted to see a bittern and it seemed like a good opportunity to do so at Saltholme after it had been showing all week. As soon as we got past the wildlife watchpoint we saw one fly over then drop into the reeds - success at least we saw one but there were no photo opportunities. We moved on to the Long Eared Owls and Toby was there searching them out before we went down to view them, he found one, and although it was tucked in about 40 yards away it was in range for digiscoping - people with cameras struggled to get pics of this bird.

We tried again for the bittern but with no success and the hide at the wildlife watchpoint was heaving with people. We went down the Zinc Road and found the twite in the samphire grass - about 20 and Pete was being given the run around trying to get photos of them - it became too dull. I had dead batteries in my camera so didnt try.(Duh!) I was pleased we managed the target bird but disappointed that Pete didnt get a chance of a shot of it.
Pete made for home and I went to Jacksons Landing just to test my new camera out, very dull by now but there were some Red Breasted Mergansers quite close in so tried for them - results ok but need more practice with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs

Digiscoping Blog By Colin Severs
Barn Owl in North Yorkshire